Every two years, IFS holds a residential conference, aiming to facilitate high-level knowledge exchange between practitioners, policymakers and academics on key areas of policy and practice. This year's conference, sponsored by PwC, will look at tax and industrial strategy, and specifically will aim to answer the following questions:
- What is an industrial strategy? In what ways should the government intervene, and what should such a strategy try to achieve? What is seen to work well in other countries? How important is tax relative to other policy levers?
- How can we design effective tax policies to support the industrial strategy? What’s the evidence for how well tax works and how could it be used more effectively? Which aspects of tax policy are valued by different types of business?
- How can the tax system adapt in response to the challenges posed by digital economy? How should the tax system be changed to deal more appropriately with new business models and digital companies? Does new technology provide opportunities for tax authorities?
The conference will run from 9:00 - 17:45 on Friday 14 September (followed by a drinks reception and formal conference dinner), and from 9:00 - 13:00 on Saturday 15 September. Accommodation for delegates is available on Thursday and Friday nights, and dinner will be provided on both evenings.
Confirmed speakers include:
- Alex Altmann, Partner, Blick Rothenberg
- Francois Chadwick, VP Tax, Uber
- Alistair Collins, VP Corporate Finance, AstraZeneca
- Tony Danker, CEO, Be the Business
- Gareth Davies, Director General, Business and Science, Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy
- Jim Harra, Deputy Chief Executive and Second Permanent Secretary, HMRC
- Neil Harris, Group Director of Tax, Treasury and Insurance, BT
- Ali Kennedy, Vice President, Sophos Group
- Sir John Kingman, Chair, UK Research and Innovation
- Helen Miller, Associate Director, Institute for Fiscal Studies
- Nicky Morgan MP, Chair, Treasury Committee
- Paul Morton, Tax Director, Office of Tax Simplification
- Rain Newton Smith, Chief Economist, CBI
- Tom Smith, Director, Customers, Strategy and Policy, HMRC
- Alenka Turnsek, Partner for Digital Transformation, PwC
- Mike Williams, Director, Business and International Tax, HM Treasury
To book your place, please either fill out the form below or email firstname.lastname@example.org with your full name, affiliation, ticket category, and invoicing details (including billing address and any purchase order number requirements), and we will send you an invoice as soon as possible.
Full price ticket: £695 + VAT (£660 + VAT for IFS individual and corporate members)
Academic & charity rate: £495 + VAT (£470 + VAT for IFS individual and corporate members)
Included in your delegate fee: Ensuite accommodation at Downing College is provided on Thursday 13 and Friday 14 and delegates are invited to attend a drinks reception and formal conference dinner on Friday 14 (a buffet dinner will be available on Thursday evening for delegates arriving that night).
Day delegate rates: Please contact us if are interested in attending as a day delegate and do not require accommodation.